A Timeless, Resort-Style Family Haven
Perth Architect Neil Cownie has designed a detailed and desirable example of relaxed resort-style living for the modern family.
Describe the essence of the home?
Textural, warm & ‘seamless indoor outdoor’ spaces.
What are your favourite features of the design?
The contemporary yet timeless house has a resort like quality while providing the sense of warmth and belonging of a family home. The main living areas seamlessly open up to embrace the outdoor living areas. This experience is further enhanced through the use of materials and finishes that connect the internal and external areas.
Name the 5 elements that make this place memorable?
- The house provides a warm family environment and the versatility to remain relevant for the ever-changing needs of a family as the children grow older. A ‘timeless’ resort feel has been sought in the design of the house through the building form and the selection of materials which will age gracefully.
- Robust materials such as natural stone, copper and slate have been used for their aged patina and for the texture, detail and interest that they provide. The use of these elements has been contrasted with white texture coated walls to add ‘lightness’ to the other more robust textured materials.
- We endeavored to maintain a strong relationship between internal and external areas for the main everyday living areas of the house. This blurring of where the inside of the house ends and the outside begins is achieved through the use of some of the external materials internally such as the natural stone and copper cladding running from outside to within the house. Large automatic sliding doors also allow both physical and visual connections to external areas.
- The north facing main external terrace reinforces the blur of the internal and external areas with the copper internal ceiling flowing into the copper clad pergola structure supporting the glass roof and deciduous Wisteria vine. From the raised alfresco terrace the external garden areas step down in a series of terraces to the pool and the children’s cave which is buried into the garden escarpment.
- The house maintains an open friendly ‘face’ to the street with changes in level and landscaping used to define boundaries without the need for obtrusive fences and gates.
Neil Cownie Architect Pty Ltd
250 Heytesbury Road Subiaco WA 6008
M: 0421 341 841
T: +61 (8) 9381 7572
Photographer: Robert Frith, Acorn Photo